[Bioclusters] A set of notes on how to do RAID optimization on a compute node

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:34:54 -0400

Joe,

This is a very informative article. Thank you. A couple of followup
questions:

1. How would I do a software raid with more than two disks. That is,
what PC hardware configuration to have more than two independent
controllers. The only way to get them that I know of is through a RAID
card, but the card will be the bottleneck then.

2. In general, how much of a speedup do you expect if you use 2-disk and
5-disk software raid, compared to the same disk drive used standalone?

Thanks,
Simon

--
Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)   simonf@cshl.edu
http://www.simonf.com          simonf@simonf.com

Even computers need analysts these days!
				("Spider-Man")