[Bioclusters] RE: About the parallel Blast on PVM

Joseph Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
20 Aug 2002 10:47:02 -0400

Hi Filatei:

  Which version of gcc are you running?   I do not think that gcc (prior
to 3.0) does 64 bit on Solaris by default.  There are specific
instructions to make gcc do 64 bit code building for you (see
http://www.well.com/~jax/rcfb/solaris_tips/build_gcc_3.0_64bit.html).
What I have seen indicates that gcc 3.1 is the minimum recommended for
64 bit binary generation on most of Solaris running on 64 bit capable
hardware (see http://www.sunfreeware.com/gcc.html).

  As for the specific platform it uses, the script
(ncbi/make/makedis.csh) uses

	set os=`uname -s`

to grab the "vendor" name of the OS (try 'uname -s' on your shell).
Then it uses 'uname -r' to get the OS release name.  The problem is that
by default, this script doesn't seem to set the platform to solaris64.
If someone could loan me some time/access to a 64 bit late model solaris
machine, I think I might be able to hack a fix to this.

  Either way, this script also checks for the use of the gcc compiler.
If gcc is being used, it sets the platform=solaris-gcc.  By default this
is a 32 bit compiler, unless you specifically built it for 64 bit
operation.  You would need to modify the
ncbi/platform/solaris-gcc.ncbi.mk file to reflect the option changes.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC