RLX blades (was Re: [Bioclusters] altivec-HMMER bechmark results from Erik Lindahl - 6x faster than dual Athlon)

chris dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:08:18 -0500

Eric Engelhard wrote:
> RLX Technologies gave a presentation at CVBIG (www.cvbig.org) about their
> Intel and Transmeta based blade servers, and specifically, their BLAST
> solution. RLX may not be the fastest option _per blade_, but they certainly
> offer much when it comes to space, cooling, energy, and management.
>
> My .02
>
> Eric

For me it depends on the price premium I'd have to pay in order to
experience the space savings. I hope to have list vs street pricing data
shortly.

Sanger Centre has ~800 RLX blades right now doing pipeline and blast
work. Anyone from there (James Cuff, etc.?) on this list? I know there
are RLX people here but it would be nice to hear from the sanger crew as
to what their experiences have been.

-chris