[bioclusters] self-built clusters and red hat

Patrick Audley bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:53:25 +0000

    Andrew> always useful.  If there are people out there who are
    Andrew> running production services on beowulf-like clusters with
    Andrew> a non-redhat based distribution (meaning a customized
    Andrew> red-hat image like rocks or the old VALinux distro, not
    Andrew> mandrake), I would really appreciate a note about it.  If
    Andrew> you migrated to something else from redhat, and care to
    Andrew> tell me why you did it and how it went, that would even be

Hi Andrew,
   We have a 100+ processor cluster that we are happily using Debian
on right now.  I runs very happily with Grid Engine and MPI though I
haven't personally tried it with Beowulf yet (there is a port of
Debian for Beowulf[1]).  If you have any specific questions, feel free
to ask.
                                Good Luck,
                                     Patrick.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.debian.org/ports/beowulf/

bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
			           - Rich Cook
..
Patrick Audley                paudley@compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Computational Biology         http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk
University of Dundee          http://blackcat.ca
Dundee, Scotland              +44 1382 348721