[Bioclusters] beta available of ncbi2rpm

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
19 Dec 2002 02:28:08 -0500

Hi Folks:

  I posted ncbi2rpm, which will take the ncbi.tar.gz tarball, build it,
turn it into an RPM (sitting under /opt to make the LSB folk happy).  It
is semi-specific to x86 at this moment, as I dont have access to an OS-X
machine to play with it under.

  The environment requires autospec
(http://freshmeat.net/releases/98493/) and can be pulled from
http://scalableinformatics.com/downloads/ncbi2rpm.tar.gz .  This beta is
primarily to get the environment out there for people to beat on, tell
me what is wrong with it, what they would like to see, and so forth.  I
did build a rather large RPM of the 2.2.5 NCBI tools using the gcc 3.2.1
compiler with it, at
http://scalableinformatics.com/downloads/ncbitools-gcc3.2.1-2.2.5-1.i686.rpm .  Please be aware that this RPM is about 46MB in size, and the web site has a small uplink pipe.

  Eventually, this environment will be used to build other tools as well
(it is generic for building codes).  I wanted to get feedback from the
RPM builders out there, as well as those who have non-RPM packaging
requirements, please help me understand what format works, and where it
is described.

  The final cleaned up bits of this may appear in the biopkg effort.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,