[Bioclusters] problems with AMD Athlon 2000+ MP

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:49:17 -0600

Hi William,

Thank you so much.  Our power supply in each node is  Lemacs (model
P1M6400P).  I will look into the power supply and see if that might be the
culprit.

PS. The fans seem to be making good contact with the CPU's.  But, we
haven't tried a heat sink compound yet.  Maybe that will be our next step?

-Bonnie

|---------+------------------------------------>
|         |           William Park             |
|         |           <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>  |
|         |           Sent by:                 |
|         |           bioclusters-admin@bioinfo|
|         |           rmatics.org              |
|         |                                    |
|         |                                    |
|         |           12/29/2002 08:26 PM      |
|         |           Please respond to        |
|         |           bioclusters              |
|         |                                    |
|---------+------------------------------------>
  |                                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bioclusters@bioinformatics.org                                                                                |
  |        cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: Re: [Bioclusters] problems with AMD Athlon 2000+ MP                                                           |

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 08:01:02PM -0600, BHurwitz@twt.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a 20 CPU cluster which has AMD Athlon 2000+ MP processors.  The
> cluster is relatively new and almost every week we loose one or two nodes
> due to the processors failing.  I think the issue may be heat related, so
> we tried separating the nodes, increasing the airflow with a fan, and
> dropping the temp in the server room.  None of these attempts have
helped.
> We have also tried to replace the fans.  Has anyone ever had a similar
> problem?  How did you resolve it?  Are pentium III more stable?
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Bonnie

- Check that CPU fan are making good contact with CPU.  Use heatsink
  compound, if you have to.

- I think your culprit may be power supply.  Good case and power
  supply cannot be over-emphasized.  I recommend Antec or Enlight.

- Intel runs a lot cooler.  P3 is more stable, but don't have the
  crunching power of AMD 2000+.  If you have the money, go for
  quad-Xeon.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>