[Bioclusters] cluster computing options

chris dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:31:10 -0500

Hi Amit,

You will find that most life science applications are not parallel
aware. The majority are standalone binaries or algorithims that are run
serially or in "embarassingly parallel" mode.

There are starting to be exceptions, especially for those researchers
who are doing chemistry, structural and molecular modelling work. The
problem is that lots of those programs are commercial (supplied by
companies like MSI and Accelrys) and others are made available under all
sorts of license clauses.  An example of this is AMBER
(http://www.amber.ucsf.edu/amber/amber.html) which happens to be MPI
aware but is available to academics under license that apparently costs
$400 USD...

-chris