[Bioclusters] parallel blast search

Arun M bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:41:03 -0530 (IST)

HI

We have a Beowulf cluster at our college and we are looking for ways to
parallelize and perform BLAST searches on the Beowulf cluster. We have seen
that it is hopeless trying to understand the BLAST source code and work on
it (to parallelize it). Can anyone give any code for running Blast on the
cluster or give (implementation) details on "parallel Blast" - especially
how you split the database into subdomains, how to wrap the BLAST code to
carry out the BLAST subsearches, and finally to parse and merge the
subsearch results?

Thanks

Arun