[Bioclusters] Newbies

Ron Chen bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 11 May 2002 19:38:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- xpscreens <tom@xpscreens.com> wrote:
> Hi, I just read about this in Wired and I am quite
> interested.  Could you share any information to get
> a newbie started on setting up a cluster for playing
> around with this, or give me a link to something
> useful?  Thanks

You need --

1. Batch system -- PBS, SGE, or LSF
PBS - lots of users, opensource
SGE - lots of news users, used to be commerical, open
      sourced by Sun, can get support from more than
      17 companies (so-called Sun partners)
LSF - quite expensive, same functionality as SGE,
commerical

Also, Sun has a free on-line training course --
http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/courses/WE-1600-90.html
(mainly for SGE users, but other batch system users
can also take a look)

2. OS
Most people use Linux (due to its free, opensource,
etc)

3. Network
100 Mbps may be the best, in terms of cost-effetive.
But if you run parallel BLAST, then you may consider
high-speed, low latency like Myrinet.

-Ron