[Bioclusters] Clueless about Mosix

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:26:06 -0400

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another thing came up in discussions with Ivo. Am I right or wrong that
> running Mosix and a batch system like SGE, at least out of the box, is
> counter-productive, as they are not aware of each other?
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

It would be counter productive if they were not aware of each other --
if they played nicely together then there is certainly a place for batch
scheduling in a MOSIX-type environment.

Scyld (www.scyld.com) has a Bproc-based SSI (single system image)
beowulf cluster distribution that supports the PBS batch system.

In fact I am sure that I saw a press release a while back mentioning
that you could get a version of Scyld that is fully integrated with
Veridian's PBS Pro distribtion.

There is at least one Scyld person on this list (Hi Donald!) so perhaps
he can comment if I'm totally off base.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & research computing consulting