[Bioclusters] meeting/event role call; boston area bioclusters members?

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:26:19 -0400

Hi folks,

It would probably be a good idea to start tracking upcoming meetings and
events to see if we will have enough of a critical mass to hold some
sort of bioclusters BOF session or pub/social gathering.

These are the meetings I'll be at over the next few months, anyone else
going?

(1) Bioinformatics'02
Dates: June 19-21,2002
Location: Boston, MA
Website: http://www.lifesciencesolutions.com/BIOINFORMATICS.htm

(2) Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC'2002)
Dates: August 1-2, 2002
Location: Edmonton, Canada (side meeting of larger ISMB conference)
Website: http://open-bio.org/bosc2002/

(3) Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology,  ISMB'2002
Dates: August 3-7, 2002
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Website: http://www.ismb02.org

Are there other meetings to attend? Are people going to any HPC or
Supercomputing conferences this summer?

Also- are there lots of Boston or New England area people on this list?
If so perhaps we can think up some sort of plan to have a local
bioclusters symposium/tour/meeting.

I can think of one event that may be kind of cool: Things are still
under tight wraps but I think that one of the first clusters built from
new Apple Xserver systems (http://www.apple.com/xserve/) is going to be
built here in Boston. If this happens the Apple systems will be
integrated into an existing Pentium III Linux + Platform LSF life
science compute farm. A tour or 'show & tell' of this system and the
integration process may be a good way to kick off some sort of local
area bioclusters meetings.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & research computing consulting