[Bioclusters] re: seeking sources

J.W. Bizzaro bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 19:05:02 -0400

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Sun and IBM people can be found at standards meetings and
> interoperability efforts but I don't see many of them actively
> contributing to bio-specific open source efforts.

As I mentioned to Sam, I believe that the large hardware companies have not
yet considered the *combination* of the two "hottest" fields: Open Source (or
Linux) and bioinformatics.  Having talked with people in these companies, it
is apparent that the two divisions are either unaware of each other or just
not communicating.  Those in the Linux/Open Source division don't know what
bioinformatics is, and those in the life sciences division are too deep into
the corporate culture to consider anything "free" or "open."

Cheers.
Jeff
--
J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff@bioinformatics.org