[Bioclusters] Apple/Genentech BLAST

Ivo Grosse bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 15:02:47 -0400

Hi Chris,

> We've (the University of Minnesota) recently begun populating user
> labs with dual processor G4's (2GB RAM, 160GB of disk).  I've been
> tasked to integrate these machines into my cluster environment using
> some sort of cycle stealing technology.

This sounds interesting!

> pay more per-node for a queuing environment) but I'd appreciate any
> other suggestions on free cycle stealing queuing environments.

Could anybody who has experience with Condor and Mosix compare the two?
 Of course, the concepts are different, but comparable in the sense
that both allow you to make use of idle computers in the network.  I
would like to learn which of the two

- is less intrusive,

- is easier to install,

- is easier to maintain,

- is more robust,

- is more efficient, i.e., has less overhead,

- cause less network traffic.

Are there other alternatives?

Best regards,

Ivo