[Bioclusters] Itanium 2

Donald Becker bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:23:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Steve Gaudet wrote:

> > From: David Thomas [mailto:davelists@imagesmiths.com]
> >
> > I'm learning that Itanium 2 boards are not yet in full
> > production.  If you're placing an order be prepared for LONG
> > delays, possibly up to several months.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:35:28PM -0400, Marcel Turcotte
> > (turcotte@site.uottawa.ca) wrote:
..
> > > I about to buy some equipment, which include a bunch of Sun Blade
> > > 100/150 workstations (15).  I was wondering if some of you had any
> > > experience with Itanium 2 based workstations.

> With respect to motherboards being available, I believe Intel is the only
> one offering a 4 way, through white box builders.  However, your looking at
> late October/November for release.
>
> On the other hand, you have HP which has two offering shipping now,
> zx2000-single proc 900mhz, and the zx6000 dual proc 900mhz.

Our customers started receiving their first commercial HP Itanium 2
systems late last week.

Prior to that, all of the previous Itanium 2 system were at a tiny number
high-profile, well-publicized sites with special agreements.  There were
no quiet users with unbiased opinions running a cluster that you just
didn't hear about.

As is usual in this type of product roll-out, the lead systems vendor
(HP) will have weeks or months of near-exclusive delivery.  The tier-2
vendors will get only a few sample systems.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993