[Bioclusters] Workstation Selection for Bioinformatics Research

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:23:44 -0400

Hi Chip,

My $.02 of course...

I lean in favor of the dual-booting Intel workstations. The scientific
software developers and bioinformatics researchers will like Linux
because of the development environment and wide variety of algorithims
and tool suites. The researchers interested in visualization and data
mining will also like Linux but they can benefit from Windows as well
when/if they want to run apps like Spotfire which are Windows-only.

You need to be careful with your hardware selection if you expect to do
serious visualization work on your workstations. Make sure that whatever
graphics card / monitor combination you get is _well_ supported by the
X11/Linux distro you plan to use. It may be worth aquiring a test
machine before you actually commit dollars to a bigger purchase. It is
probably also worthwhile to try to find people who are currently using
any workstation combo you plan to aquire to see what real users think.

Dell tends to be not that great with Linux at the presales / tech
support level (sometimes I get lucky) but their Linux guru's hang out on
the dell-poweredge mailing list and have been amazingly helpful with
supporting Linux across the entire Dell server line. As an example,
check out Matt Domsch's website at http://www.domsch.com/linux/ -- that
site is the first place I check when I'm cluster building with Dell
PowerEdge boxes.

Not sure if that expertise is also offered for the workstation line though.

Someone else mentioned building your own -- that may be fine for cluster
nodes but it may not be worth the effort just for workstation machines.
Especially in an academic lab where there may not be a huge amount of
steady IT support to run/fix the machines.  People may be suprised at
the price Dell quotes for workstations. Last time I checked into a
'build it myself' vs 'buy from Dell' for a personal machine it turned
out that the Dell box was about the same price as what it would have
cost me to purchase componants on my own. When you add in the fact that
Dell will come onsite and fix your box for three years running then that
seriouly tilts the purchase decision for business/academic users.

-Chris
BioTeam.net