[Bioclusters] Queue Problems / Dead Processes

Joseph Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:37:09 -0400

andy law (RI) wrote:

[...]

> kernel is 2.4.2-2smp. RedHat linux 7.1 (SeaWolf). Dual 1.2GHZ P-IIIs with 4GB RAM and a single 80GB IDE drive per node.
>
> One extra clue that David just pointed out to me is that attempts to stop the sge installation (using rcsge) on the affected node hangs the terminal session. Attempts to list files in the directory containing the rcsge executable also hang the terminal session on the affected node. This directory is NFS mounted from the head node. Perhaps we are having an NFS problem?
>
> Curiously, we can list the directories on that NFS mount, but not look at the contents of the files in it.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

Absolutely.  I have seen something like this when the NFS server fails
to respond to an active process.  What are your mount options for the
file system?  Are you using regular /etc/fstab based hard mounts or
automounts?

I use options like

			bg,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

on my NFS mounts.  At minimum, you want the intr (allows interruption of
  NFS based IO via signals).  This might make the SGE killable.

I would also look in the logs on the compute node (and head node) to see
if you get messages like

	NFS server xxxxx not responding

(client side), and odd NFS messages on the server side.

Is this a PC/Linux based NFS server?  Is it under heavy load?  What are
the details of it (running which kernel, how many NFSD's, network
configs, etc?).

I think we are on the right track here (NFS).

Note also:  Many good fixes are in place post 2.4.2 for NFS and mounts.
  You might wish to consider (eventually) an upgrade of the compute
nodes to a later kernel.