[Bioclusters] Xserve going full duplex

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:53:13 -0400

Ruotti, Victor wrote:
> Chris:
> We have two xserves here at the Medical College and the problem is that the
> Ethernet cards will not go to full-duplex. We have tried to use the ifconfig
> utility but it don't seem to work. Have you experienced the same problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Victor
> Data Analyst / Programmer
> Bioinformatics Research Center
> Medical College of Wisconsin

I think this was a recent thread here as well as on biodarwin. First
suggestion is to look at the switch you are connecting to -- I've often
had duplex negotiation failure problems with Cisco, Foundry and Dell
Powerconnect switches when working on linux systems.

You should first try to adjust your switch to disable negotiation and
force the appropriate ports to be full-duplex. That may solve your probelm.

-Chris