[Bioclusters] Large memory blast servers

Michael Cariaso bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:59:56 -0500

Thank you very much. That keyword made it possible to find new info with
google.

In particular the responses in this usenet thread, are quite helpful
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=43904425cc7e3c6a&seekm=dMie6.42%24p54.917767%40news.randori.com&frame=off

Another promising avenue I've learned about is PAE - Physical Address
Extension.

"an Intel-provided memory address extension that enables processors to
expand the number of bits that can be used to address physical memory
from 32 bits to 36 bits, through support in the host operating system
for applications using the Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) API. PAE
support of up to 64 GB of physical memory for applications running on
most 32-bit (IA-32) Intel Pentium Pro and later platforms.
"
Both Linux 2.4+ kernels and newer windows server OSs support PAE.

It seems that a version of BLAST that could address 64G would be a
significant benefit to the community. Does anyone have any idea what
would be involved in adding PAE support into NCBI-BLAST?