[Bioclusters] [Fwd: [blast-announce] #031 addendum - FOLLOWUP Reorganization of the Pre-formatted Database files.]

Jeremy Mann bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:34:18 -0600 (CST)

> For those interested folks...
>
> Due to technical issues, the chromosome database will no longer be split
> into euk_genomes.gz and prok_genomes.gz (see previous
> [blast-announce] #031 below). Instead we are creating a two organism
> specific genomes BLAST files and a third file containing genomes from
> all other species. The files will be called; human_genomic.gz
> mouse_genomic.gz and other_genomic.gz
>
> These files are located on the FTP server at
>
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/blast/db/FormattedDatabases/
>
> These changes will take effect immediately.

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Landman. I notice these aren't in the
Unformated at this time. Does anybody know when we can expect these in
UnFormated?

Also another question regarding unformated versus formated databases. In
our lab we spend quite a lot of CPU time on multiple computers to format
all of the databases. What advantages/disadvantages are there to using
unformated versus formated databases?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy@biochem.uthscsa.edu