[Bioclusters] cluster hardware question

Jeff Layton bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:41:23 -0500

> > If you assume that you are running on one instance of your app per
> > CPU and that you can only address 3.5 Gig of memory per CPU, then
> > that leaves you with around 8 Gigs to play with (giving a generous
> > 1 Gig for the OS). While RAM is expensive compared to disk, this
> > idea is also much faster than disk. Would 8 Gigs be enough for some,
> > many, lots of people?
>
> Some.  I think the PAE stuff lets you address up to 64 GB, but I dont
> know how well it works.  I have heard it slows things down a bit.  Using
> it as a ram disk for swap space (ala the old Crays with the SSD) could
> be interesting.

We're toying with that idea as well. Also, we're looking at using the
extra memory for a diskless node, so you can copy what you need
to the RAM-disk. This way the nodes can be moved around from
one secure area to another without having to swap disks.

Jeff

--

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
Lockheed-Martin Corporation.