[Bioclusters] Sun bits: solaris optimized blast binaries & a Gridengine-blast integration note on their website

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:17:29 -0400

in advance if someone already passed this on. I'm still brain dead from
the ISMB/Brisbane meeting...

For people who don't care about the Solaris binaries the link to the
HTML whitepaper on "Integrating BLAST with Grid Engine" is actually very
good.

The paper gives a basic but step-by-step guide to setting up a NCBI
blast aware Grid Engine installation that is not in any way specific to
running on a Sun cluster or even using the commercial version of grid
engine. If you are interested in trying Grid Engine this should be
helpful -- particularly the shell scrips that are given showing how to
submit blast jobs (with embedded SGE directives) into the cluster.

This could be something someone interested in getting an intro to Grid
Engine could use to get things up and running on a Linux laptop or whatever.

The 'missing' info is how to actually configure, tweak and tune the Grid
Engine configuration. The assumption in the whitepaper is that the user
would just use the default queues and config provided by the SGE
installation scripts.

In general this is OK -- the default queues are quite sensible but they
generally come with 1 job slot per CPU which is sometimes good for blast
and sometimes not. There are other parameters that one may want to tweak
as well.

I'd recommend that people following this whitepaper look up the 'Howto'
papers on http://gridengine.sunsource.net and read about how to create
and configure grid engine 'complexes' and 'requestable/consumable
resources'.

As an example of SGE complex usage for bioclusters -- When building
similar systems with dual-CPU compute nodes I like to create a 'hog' or
'greedy' complex that will allow users to request that  their job to
have 100% exclusive acccess of a compute node.

With this setup a normal job would look like this:

$ qsub ./myBlastJobScript.sh

If I want my job to take exclusive use of a compute node with no other
jobs running in the remaining job slot I can do this:

$ qsub -l greedy=1 ./myBlastJobScript.sh

Dumb example perhaps but complexes and resources are very very useful in
SGE land and the whitepaper sorta skips over them.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting

--------------070401000506010203060508
 filename="Solaris 32- & 64-bit optimized binaries for NCBI BLAST now posted!"