[Bioclusters] hello we are also looking into workstations for bioinformatics

Doug Shubert bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:23:39 -0400

--------------BD0CB8C9532F000EB3FD7BBB

WILSON GREGORY wrote:

> I saw your entry and wondering if ever decided on what workstation(s)
> for end users of your cluster(s). I noticed Dell mentioned but I
> thought Sun systems would be better. I am also considering Apple Mac
> OSx workstations. If you have any ideas on this could you please send
> some information? Thank you.
>
> I am also trying to get good but cheap visualization software to work
> with Linux,most is quite expensive. Could you tell what your
> university is using?

if you are visulising MD, VMD works great on Linux.

--------------
What is VMD?  See also http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/

VMD is designed for the visualization and analysis of biological
systems such as proteins, nucleic acids, lipid bilayer assemblies,
etc.  It may be used to view more general molecules, as
VMD can read standard Protein Data Bank (PDB) files and display the
contained structure.  VMD provides a wide variety of methods for
rendering and coloring molecule.  VMD can be used to animate and analyze

the trajectory of molecular dynamics (MD) simulations, and can
interactively manipulate molecules being simulated on remote computers
(Interactive
MD).
--------------

-Doug

--------------BD0CB8C9532F000EB3FD7BBB

&nbsp;
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>I
saw your entry and wondering if ever decided on what workstation(s) for
end users of your cluster(s). I noticed Dell mentioned but I thought Sun
systems would be better. I am also considering Apple Mac OSx workstations.
If you have any ideas on this could you please send some information? Thank

font-family:Arial'></span>

font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>
I am also trying to get good but cheap visualization software to work with

analyze
(Interactive

--------------BD0CB8C9532F000EB3FD7BBB--