[Bioclusters] apple cluster webinar on Tuesday + boston area biotech cluster / DRM talk on Wednesday

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:43:29 -0400

Hi folks,

Hopefully this will be of interest to some; if not apologies for the
unsolicited event notices.

(1) http://www.apple.com/education/hedwebcast/

Bill Van Etten is joining a panel with the Apple Xserve product manager
Doubg Brooks and a few other people to talk about Xserve + XRAID + Mac
OS X server as they are used in life science biocomputing.

This is a 'webcast' with the following dates/times:
  Tuesday, June 10, 2003
  10:00-11:00 am PST
  (1:00 EST, 12:00 noon CST, 11:00 am MST)
  Extended Q&A session to follow from
  11-11:30 am PST.

(2) Adam Moscowitz roped me into giving a presentation at the upcoming
BBLISA meeting in Boston/Cambridge this week (http://www.bblisa.org).
The BBLISA presentations are generally pretty technical and draw local
sysadmins and systems managers for discussions and networking. The last
talk I attended there was a great one from a NetApp engineer who spoke
about the NAS/SAN convergence stuff that happens under the hood in
NetApp's DataOnTap filer OS. Very cool.

Anyway- Adam wants me to talk about 2 main areas: 'compute farming in
biotech' as well as the various distributed resource management layers
(DRM) that we use. I'm probably going to stick mostly to talking about
how Sun GridEngine and Platform LSF work at the expense of a more
general intro to all the various DRM implementations out there.

I'm not sure how the talk be structured-- it depends if the audience is
more interested in the IT/clustering stuff or the software DRM layer.

Here is the info for that talk.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7-9pm, MIT Building E51, Room 149

Let me know if you plan to attend. There may be a pre-meeting dinner
gathering at Mary Chung's on Mass Ave.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting