[Bioclusters] Setting up a small cluster

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:29:47 -0400

Malay Kumar Basu wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I am planning to set up a small linux cluster (~8 nodes). I am a new comer
> in the field and still learing. Could anyone please guide me about what
> should be the hardware like? Does SCSI makes any significant difference?
> Should I go for sigle/dual processor nodes?
>
> Malay

Hi Malay,

Lots of people on this list have done similar projects before. Before we
all chime in with suggestions you may wish to provide some more
information on what you are trying to do. It will help with
recommendations that people make.

The big question:

o What do you want the cluster to be used for? What applications will be
your "primary" use?

Knowing how the cluster will be used is a big factor in figuring out the
hardware questions you mentioned (SCSI, single or dual CPUs etc. etc)

-Chris