[Bioclusters] Setting up a small cluster

Srigurunath (Ecap) Chakravarthi bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:57:44 -0500 (CDT)

Malay Kumar Basu <curiouser@ccmb.res.in> writes:
> Thanks everyone for your help. After going through all the material I have
> decided to do this.

> The cluster will have 7 nodes with this config:

> #1. AMD Athalon >=1.6 GHz
> #2. ASUS motherboard with onboard video RAM (8 MB)
> #3. Floppy drive
> #4. Gigabit ethernet
> #5. 20 GB ULTRA ATA HD
> #6. 1GB DDR RAM

> It will have one server (head) with these:

> #1. AMD Athalon >= 1.6 GHz
> #2. ASUS Motherboard
> #3. 32 AGP card
> #4. 1 GB DDR RAM
> #5. >= 80 GB SCSI hard drive
> #6. Floppy drive
> #7. Internal ZIP drive
> #8. CDRW drive
> #9. Two Gigabit NICs one for cluster, one for the external ethernet.

> I will go for 8 port full duplex Gigabit ethernet switch. I'll leave out
> KVM for the moment.

Malay,
 You may want to buy a KVM switch instead of spending on monitors for each
node (if you intended to buy multiple monitors). An 8-port KVM switch will
cost you less than seven 15" monitors and will save space and power
consumption in general :-)

regards,
Ecap