[Bioclusters] working on NCBI "port" to Opteron

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
17 Jun 2003 15:16:38 -0400

Hi folks:

  I have had the joy of playing with an Opteron for a few days, and have
done some preliminary testing on it using some BLAST runs.  Hopefully I
will be able to summarize in a few days.

  One of the interesting side effects of working on this platform is the
need to update one of the NCBI header files.  Here is my quick diff:

diff ./ncbi/include/ncbilcl.h.original ./ncbi/include/ncbilcl.h
90a91,92
> #elif defined(__x86_64__) || #cpu(x86_64) || #machine(x86_64)
> #define PROC_X86_64

  Without this, it does compile, but it complains about not knowing
which processor it was being compiled for.  Hopefully I can get longer
term access to an Opteron along with better compilers, so I can complete
this work.

  Just an FYI.

Joe

--