[Bioclusters] anyone using gridMathematica ?

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:07:32 -0400

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> This is not optimal because the gridMathematica job will still launch
> and run outside the control of the cluster scheduler and resource
> management layers. On the plus side however we at least allow for the
> cluster software to make informed decisions on which nodes the math jobs
> run on.

This is the scheduler bubble I indicated.  It is not so hard to launch
an MPI job where all it does is "sleep" in a loop.  Then you have your
list of machines from the DRM, and can launch in there.  The bubble is
hard on the DRM as you are effectively requesting a static resource in
the middle of your dynamic system.  They often do not play well together.

 From SGE, I use the mpich parallel environment to get the machine file
to be autogenerated

	q{sub,rsh,...} -pe mpich N ...

Then you have $TMPDIR/machines available to pull out the machines file.
  I am sure a similar "trick" exists under LSF (though as I do not have
it on my machines at the moment, I cannot tell you what it is).

There are other techniques, and just like these others, they are hacks.
  But some of them work, so those are good....

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,