[Bioclusters] cache limit?

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
04 Mar 2003 16:32:57 -0500

Hi Justin:

  The 2.4 cache behavior is substantially different than the 2.2.  After
the BLAST job ends, I believe the mmap'ed area is returned to the heap.
The mmap'ed db is likely to be fully cached though (if it is small
enough), which means that mmap can create a small area, and simply
stream it in from cache.  This can be a good thing.

  Also, have a good close look at your limits.  You might need to adjust
them before the run.  The kernel parameters are tunable, but 2.2.16 is
somewhat on the old side (so is 2.4.2 for that matter), so you might not
find relevant information readily available.