[Bioclusters] Grid Engine for Mac OS X - binary package installer available for sge 5.3p2

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:10:55 -0500

{just sent the news to the sge-users mailing list so I might as well
mention it here...}

We have Mac OS X disk image (.dmg file) containing a binary package
installer for Grid Engine  5.3p2 now. Essentially it just gives one the
standard SGE package with darwin-ready binaries already precompiled.
Everything gets unpacked into /common/sge/ -- the user still needs to
grab the binaries and/or actually run the SGE config scripts.

We also have a patch against the GE 5.3p2 source tree and some build
notes online for those that want to build from source.

Everything should be available in this download directory:

http://bioteam.net/MacOSX/gridengine/

We'd like comments and feedback from anyone who actually downloads and
tries this (send email to 'all@bioteam.net') -- making binaries
available is a stopgap measure until we can get a good patch ready for
submission to the SGE maintainers.

Note: The X11 GUI for grid engine called 'qmon' is _not_ part of the
binary package installer. It's been a giant pain to compile so we did
not make it part of the package. There are build notes on our site and a
few threads on the SGE mailing lists for those who want the gory details.

--Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting