blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Tim Cutts bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:34:01 +0000

On 04-Nov-03, Goran Ceric wrote:
> IBM blades don't have individual serial ports. I updated BIOS and turned
> off hyperthreading in our 84 blades in under an hour using console
> redirection in management browser.

Yeah, but how tedious is that?!  I have better things to do with my time
than give myself RSI pointy-clicking 192 blades in a Mozilla window.

> Java applet works well for me even if I do it from home. It takes
> about a minute or two to load, but once it does, it runs fine. True
> serial connection would be nice, but its not crucial in my case.

Actually, the serial port does exist physically on the motherboard, it
just isn't wired up to anything you can get at.  :-)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group