blade servers (was Re: [Bioclusters] Any experiences with these guys? reeks)

Goran Ceric bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:56:03 -0600

In my experience, HT helps the most if you run several competing
applications. It's not that beneficial to a single multithreaded
application unless the threads are complimentary to each other. It all
depends on what you want to run. If you run code that's 100% FP, I think
you better turn HT off. Sometimes you have to try it with and without HT
to see what works better. And yes, Tim is right, current kernels don't
schedule smartly to logical CPUs.