[Bioclusters] Suggest a stable OS for a 2 processor 4 G RAM standalone PE 4600 server

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:43:19 +1100

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 02:04 am, karthik viswanathan wrote:

> Please suggest me a stable OS for a 2 processor 4 G RAM standalone
> server.

This is a bit like asking, "What is the best flavor of icecream?"
I'd like to put in a plug for boysenberry,^H^H^H   I mean Suse.
Their stock SMP kernel can handle more than 4 Gig of RAM.
They put a lot of effort into integration
 so you get a lot of "It just works" functionality out of the box.
Suse doesn't crash on Dell raid systems, there is some pain
 being expressed by Redhat users on the Dell-Poweredge list.

FWIW,
michaelj

--
Michael James				michael.james@csiro.au
System Administrator			voice:	02 6246 5040