[Bioclusters] how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?

Matt Temple bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:34:09 -0500

I think time will tell how well and if YUM or APT-RPM will
make it there.    up2date, while a big improvement on ... uh ...
nothing, would often choke if I had done any "non-standard"
installations and claim that package this or that needed to be
removed when I couldn't even find it.   These things are often
a matter of habit.   I got used to rpm.   Strangely, there's
a little lurking thingie that goes off when looking at
Debian -- sort of like "it's too easy.   It must not be taking
something into account."

I don't want to encourage divisions here.   Since I wouldn't like to see
there to be the One True Linux, I think we'll probably be looking
at Red Hat, Fedora, Suse, and Debian and (throw in some other
favorites.)    I find that people wind up comfortable and  competent
in the distro they've used most.