[Bioclusters] Re: Linux vs FreeBSD clusters (was: how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?)

Jan Schaumann bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:22:50 -0500

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

Rayson Ho <raysonlogin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A very good paper about building HPC clusters with FreeBSD:
>=20
> "Building a High-performance Computing Cluster Using FreeBSD"
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/
>=20
> The author talked about hardware issues: KVM, BIOS redirection, CPU
> choices; and then talked about why he chose FreeBSD instead of Linux...
> he also did the port of GridEngine (SGE) to FreeBSD.
>=20
> Anyone tried to setup HPC clusters with *BSD??

I have a 30 node NetBSD/i386 cluster, and just recently created the
tech-cluster@netbsd.org mailing list.  Some people are working on a port
of SGE to NetBSD, too.  I hope to expand the awareness of NetBSD in
particular for cluster usage in the near future.

Some URLs of relevance:

http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~jschauma/hpcf/
http://www.netbsd.org/
http://eurobsdcon.org/papers/#souvatzis
http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D03/10/20/1523252&mode=3Dthread&tid=
=3D122&tid=3D185&tid=3D190
http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/03/11/05/1536226.shtml?tid=3D122&tid=3D185&tid=
=3D190

-Jan

--=20
Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C--