[Bioclusters] Operating system choice.

Farul Mohd. Ghazali bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:49:44 +0800 (MYT)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, David Robillard wrote:

> As a unix systems admin, I'm not a big fan of Red Hat linux products
> (or anything RPM based for that matter), because of dependency
> problems inherent to RPM. I would prefer to go with Debian GNU/Linux
> or with FreeBSD. Unfortunately, my Upper Management team thinks Linux
> and Red Hat are identical.
>
> I thus face two barriers:
>
> a) The OS needs to be compatible with Platform LSF and Veritas NetBackup client.

Several people have already mentioned about LSF. My limited experience
with Veritas Netbackup 4.5 is that it does not like glibc-2.3 which is the
standard on Redhat 8/9. We mucked around a bit with multiple glibcs and
ld.so.conf but it would not even install properly. Worked fine on Redhat
7.3 (glibc-2.2).

I believe Debian Woody is still using glibc-2.2 so you may be ok if you're
going that route.