[Bioclusters] Submitting SGE jobs as nobody

Joseph Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:14:15 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 06:53, david speed (RI) wrote:

> We have encountered a strange problem when testing our prototype, the
> web interface will fail with this error message
>
> Can't exec "/local/SGE/bin/glinux/qsub": Input/output error

Could we see

	ls -alF /local/SGE/bin/glinux/qsub

Also, what user is running the apache daemon?  I presume that the CGI is
not an SUID code and dropping permissions to the other user.

Also, does

	su - `id apache`

(assuming apache is the user running the web server daemon) work?

Usually the permissions on qsub are set somewhat restrictive.  I would
recommend

	chown root:root /local/SGE/bin/glinux/qsub
	chmod 4755 /local/SGE/bin/glinux/qsub

It seems that you have 2 or more issues that are interacting.  First, it
appears that you might not have read or write permissions in the
directory where the script runs initially.  It would be worthwhile to
know what that directory is.  Second, it appears that the q* commands
may have somewhat more restrictive permission than needed.  You might be
able to fix the second problem in a different manner, though I would be
cautious and reluctant about adding te apache group to the system or
root group.

The changing nature of the error messages seems to indicate something
like an automount.