[Bioclusters] requesting help for computational server setup (PE 4600)

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:36:29 -0400

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 15:57, Aaron Darling wrote:
> I would suggest taking your disks out of RAID 0.  See:
> http://www.storagereview.com/php/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0

This review isn't all that helpful to the informatics folks though.
Many of the codes I have seen are limited by large block sequential
reads, which the article indicates to be one of the strengths of RAID0.

> The other FAQs at storage review may be worth your time as well.
> To summarize:  RAID 0 has decreased reliability over a single drive.

That is true.  Damage to a single disk will affect your file system on
other disks.

> Despite having increased sequential transfer rates, non-sequential access
> patterns (e.g. server/multi-user usage) are better for data distributed
> across two independent drives than with RAID 0 in general.  If you insist
> on RAID, you should sacrifice capacity and do RAID 1, buying you increased
> reliability, better seek times than RAID 0, and equivalent transfer rates
> to RAID 0 (assuming you've got a decent controller).

There are specific business cases for RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 3, and 5.  I do
agree that multiple spindles are good, but most applications are not
smart enough to break their data in a balanced manner across multiple
disks.  RAID 0 hides the pain of doing that from the programmer and puts
it into the OS.  You get specific benefits in specific cases.  You also
accept a higher risk.