[Bioclusters] small simple test lab recommendations

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Dec 24 11:06:11 EST 2004

Hi Paul,

Your proposed setup sounds fine. Starting from what you propose the next
step people usually take when they grow their cluster is to split the
functionality of admin/master/filserver across multiple machines. No
need for you to do so, but keep it in mind as the first thing you'd
probably be required to do if you were to put your cluster into
production or grow it in size.

You also should think about network topology. Most "compute farm"
configurations have the compute nodes sitting on a private network. The
admin/master/nfs nodes have at least 2 network interfaces and are
connected to both the private compute network and the 'public' network
that leads to the outside world. Most rackmount systems have at least 2
network devices so this is usually trivial to setup, but if you are
starting with small formfactor desktops you may want to figure out if it
can support multiple NICs.

If gaining practical knowledge is your goal then dealing with
admin/master/nfs nodes that are multi-homed to several networks is
something you will want to be able to handle.

When learning clustering the hardware is not as important as the
software you choose to use and the tools/tricks/technology you use to
manage the cluster as easily as possible.

Things you'll need to think about:

o will you build your own cluster vs. starting with cluster kits like
biobrew, ROCKS, warefulf, etc.

o network services (clusters make heavy use of DNS, DHCP, PXE and TFTP
among others). The #1 admin tool you will need to understand is the
method in which nodes are reimaged or OS's are loaded automatically onto
"bare" hardware. Unattended updates, installs and upgrades are something
you will want to have for a cluster of any size.

o what scheduler/batch software will distribute jobs on the cluster? I
personally hate cluster kits that remove this choice from the user (good
argument for ROCKS and its various 'rolls'...) One of the most important
  choices a person makes about a new cluster is the DRM software suite.
Grid Engine vs Torque vs PBSPro vs LSF vs XGrid.  { If you want a
suggestion, go with Grid Engine as it's the best of the freely available
products)

o What other software tools will you use to make your life easier?
SystemImager, MRTG, BigBrother, Nagios, SAR, NTOP, Ganglia. Look for
tools that help with managing, monitoring and reporting.

BioBrew Linx may be a good starting point as it is ROCKS based with Grid
Engine under the hood and lots of informatics apps pre installed.

If you want to build your own cluster on top of a Linux OS then I'd
recommend the following software:

  o Any Linux distro you prefer; Suse 9.1 if you want a suggestion
  o Grid Engine 6 for job scheduling
  o SystemImager for OS barebones OS installs & incremental updates
  o BigBrother and Ganglia for cluster monitoring

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting