[Bioclusters] Blast Problems

david speed (RI) bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:24:22 -0000

Hi all,

We have installed Sun Grid Engine onto our 15-node Linux (Red Hat 7.1) cluster (30 Intel CPUs). There is an NFS export mounted from the head node to each slave node solely to contain the SGE tools and directories.  We have installed the ncbi blast tools (blastall version 2.2.6) and the databases to be blasted against locally on each node.

This set up works fine for most of the jobs we run however sometimes a blast job will continue to run even though the output file contains output for all the sequences in the input file the job just runs using 99.9 %cpu until the queue is cleaned.  After the queue is cleaned sometimes the queue will become unusable.

For a long time we thought this was a problem with our SGE set-up now we are thinking it may be a problem with ncbi blast has anyone else had similar problems with blast failing to exit?

Would there be any benefit in switching to Wu-Blast?

Thanks for your time

David Speed
Programmer
Roslin Institute
Bioinformatics Group
Roslin,
Midlothian,
EH25 9PS,
UK
Telephone: +44 (0)131 527 4200 (switchboard)
Fax: +44 (0)131 440 0434

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee only. The opinions expressed within this e-mail (including any attachments) are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of Roslin Institute (Edinburgh) ("the Institute") unless specifically stated by a sender who is duly authorised to do so on behalf of the Institute.