[Bioclusters] blast server on OpenMosix cluster

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:58:59 -0500

Hong Zhang,

There are several clusters doing Blast and Blast over WWW at Harvard.
Contact me in private if you want contact information for the people
running them.

The Bauer Center for Genomics Research has a big cluster system running
Platform LSF. (http://cgr.harvard.edu)

The Harvard Stats department over in the Science Center is running Grid
Engine on a small Linux cluster.

The Flybase project people are using Grid Engine on Mac OS X (apple
Xserves) for some lightweight web bioinformatics portal stuff
(http://inquiry.flybase.harvard.edu)

There are several more systems I've heard about or visited over at the
Medical school etc.

Regarding your questions:

1. wwwblast servers are easy to set up on clusters. For a lightweight
system you can just take the LSF 'lsrun' or Grid Engine 'qrsh' commands
and use them to wrap the call to the blastall executable. This will not
work in a large setting as qrsh/lsrun will fail silently if there are no
resources available; in that case you need to go asynchronous and get
used to the batch system.

2. SGE easily runs on Debian linux

Regards,
Chris