[Bioclusters] openmosix cluster again

Joseph Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:21:29 -0500

Hi Hong:

   Openmosix will not migrate pthreaded jobs.  Postgres and the web
interfaces (apache based) are all pthreaded.

   What open mosix is as far as bio-clusters are concerned, is a tool to
do a "semi-automatic" load balance.  Jobs which meet specific criteria
can be migrated to less busy nodes.  For this to make sense, you would
need a) the jobs to require long running times (as compared to potential
migration time), b) sufficiently low IO and other resource utilization
such that the migration will not generate hot-spots (resource
contention, such as network bandwidth for accessing a file over NFS).

   It is good for some types of jobs, though in a shared nothing
environment (cluster) with limited network bandwidth and relatively high
latencies, its isn't necessarily better than the queuing systems.

Joe

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,