[Bioclusters] Large numbers of files (again...?)

Joe Landman bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:12:40 -0500

Hi Dan:

   XFS uses B*-trees everywhere, and can in theory handle obscene
numbers of files per directory (obscene >> 10**7).  It is very fast with
several thousand or tens of thousands of  entries under Linux.  JFS may
be similar in terms of ability to handle 10**4 files/directory, though
it uses a different technology.  None of the others do this.

Joe