[Bioclusters] Fwd: pre-configured clusters

Robert Myers bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:29:33 -0500

Rayson Ho wrote:

> [...]
Infiniband is starting to show some life again, but it is still very
expensive as opposed to the other components of most commodity clusters.
Look for prices to come down. Wait if you can. Take note of the price of
Infiniband switches now and see what they look like at the end of 2004.
Also expect more cost-effective solutions on the HCA (host channel
adapter) side, also very expensive at the moment.

>>http://www.apple.com/xserve/cluster/wgcluster.html

SGI Altix 350 probably a better buy

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3298041

"The SGI Altix 350 is priced starting at $12,199. A 4-processor
configuration carries at a list price of $21,599, or $5,400 per processor. "

The Apple cluster comes standard with gigabit ethernet: an acceptable
interconnect only for a limited number of problems. The SGI uses
proprietary Numa-Link, which is at least competitive with Infiniband, a
much faster and much more expensive solution than gigabit ethernet, but
the Altix 350 looks like a really good buy, especially if you're looking
for a pre-packaged solution.

RM