[Bioclusters] opteron vs xeon quad cpu boxes

Guy Coates bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:13:25 +0100 (BST)

> Any insights on the performance of the Opteron quad boxes? How do they
> compare to their 32-bit counterparts like Xeon MPs? Have they proven
> suitable for your bioinformatics environment?

Short answer; the opterons blow away the Xeons. We've exaustively
benchmarked both sorts of systems, and the opterons consistently come out
ahead on both 32 and 64 bit versions of wublast, ncbi-blast, exonerate,
repeatmasker and genewise.

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK