[Bioclusters] OS X and NFS

Chen Peng bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:55:45 +0800

--Apple-Mail-1--382604071

Agree with that. NFS is more or less troublesome in OSX, especially in
10.2, where the average speed is below 2-3 MB/s for our system. 10.3
has improved a lot already, but it is still not good enough as the main
file sharing mechanism for OSX.

AFP has some function limitations, as compared with NFS. For example,
IP based authentication. Anyone with a valid account can mount the AFP
shared volume and see the first level of file system, even they may not
be able to enter it.

--
Chen Peng <chenpeng@tll.org.sg>
Senior System Engineer

On Jul 12, 2004, at 2:14 AM, Michael Dinsmore wrote:

> An Apple Systems Engineer has expressed to me that Apple is aware that
> their implementation of NFS is lackluster, esp wrt to speed;  and that
> they expect to improve it in 10.4 (due in 6-12 mos).
>
> OTOH, serving over AFP, Apple's native filesharing protocol, I have
> gotten excellent speeds.  I understand that's not an option most of
> the time, but when it is feasible it's recommended.
>

> \
--Apple-Mail-1--382604071

Agree with that. NFS is more or less troublesome in OSX, especially in
10.2, where the average speed is below 2-3 MB/s for our system. 10.3
has improved a lot already, but it is still not good enough as the
main file sharing mechanism for OSX.

AFP has some function limitations, as compared with NFS. For example,
IP based authentication. Anyone with a valid account can mount the AFP
shared volume and see the first level of file system, even they may
not be able to enter it.

<fixed>--

Chen Peng <<chenpeng@tll.org.sg>

Senior System Engineer

Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory

</fixed>

An Apple Systems Engineer has expressed to me that Apple is aware that
their implementation of NFS is lackluster, esp wrt to speed;  and that
they expect to improve it in 10.4 (due in 6-12 mos).

OTOH, serving over AFP, Apple's native filesharing protocol, I have
gotten excellent speeds.  I understand that's not an option most of
the time, but when it is feasible it's recommended.

\</excerpt>
--Apple-Mail-1--382604071--