[Bioclusters] Opterons and Linux

Jeremy Mann bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:26:58 -0500 (CDT)

Farul M. Ghazali said:

> If your user-space app is compiled as a 64-bit binary, it will see >4GB of
> RAM (or whatever your RAM + swap is). If your app is a 32-bit binary, it
> will see al the 4GB of RAM it can actually address, but nothing more.
> However, the 32-bit binaries don't have to share the 4GB address space wih
> other processes unlike what you're seeing with a 32-bit kernel/machine
> now. Note that this is assuming you're running a 64-bit kernel of course.
> Cmpiling 64-bit apps was a bit confusing at first (mixing 32-bit and
> 64-bit libs during linking, etc.) but we got the hang of it after a while.

Do you think you can share your compiling tips? We most run Slackware on
all our machines and there is no 64bit port as of yet. I'm playing around
with SuSE 9.1 64bit and will want to port Slackware to 64bit. What kind of
things should I try to make the compilation's work?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy@biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility