[Bioclusters] requested summary (genbank)

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:02:36 -0400

 >Hi, I am really sorry, but I have been deleting all the genbank posts.
 >
 >I don't suppose you could summarise the mails in one final post to the
 >list?
 >
 >Else I can just check the archives.
 >
 >cheers,
 >
 >Dan.

Dan,

Sure.  Here is a summary of all replies to my initial question:

http://www.bio-mirror.net/  Not that hard, just need disk space :)

> Any info related to he process used to get the database and store it
> would be greatly appreciated.

See the link.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,

You might want to try MyGenBank.  Information is at

http://homepage.mac.com/iankorf/mygenbank.html  and code can be
downloaded at
http://mgb.sourceforge.net/download/

It uses MySQL and is fairly easy and lightweight.  We've been using it
for a couple of years.  Good luck.

Paul

Hi Nick,

We are offering a Product/Service that creates and maintains a mirror of
EMBL-Genbank in a Postgres Database. The Installation also comes with a
WebGui and Java API.
Let me know if you want to know more.

Best Regards

Guenther

Hi Nick,

We are using SRS with great success. It can also maintain dozens of
other databases, integrates tools such as EMBOSS and BLAST, and
supports Sun Grid Engine. It is *not* lightweight or easy to
administer, though. The upside is that you are getting a heavyweight
commercial product that is free for academia.
SRS is from Lion: http://www.lionbioscience.com . The reference
implementation is at EBI: http://srs.ebi.ac.uk

I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Regards,

Ran Rubinstein
Center for Bioinformatics Infrastructure, Hebrew University, Jerusalem,
Israel.

I have a few shell scripts and C programs that can download GenBank and
sort according to organism. I'll be happy to post them.

--
Kenneth Geisshirt, M.Sc., Ph.D.   --   http://kenneth.geisshirt.dk/