[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Elia Stupka bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:49:11 +0100

> In my hands, 2.8 GHz Pentium IV Xeon matches a 1.7 GHz POWER4+ (the
> G5's big brother) at almost every genomics code I've thrown at it, so
> I'll believe you when I see some numbers, and not from Apple's website
>  :-)

Preamble: performance is to do with good pipelines, networks and people
and not processors, so I never really look into it
My 2 cents: on the G5 side of things  I don't have serious benchmarks
for bioinformatics-related stuff though it's running well, but MatLab
benchmarks give us somethnig like a 30% gain in their
whatever-benchmark-score on the G5s as compared to 3.somethingGHz
Xeons

> I had thought of mentioning that, but there's almost no commercial
> support for Linux on PPC by independent software vendors.  It seems a
> little pointless to me - if you're going to run Linux, you might as
> well run it on the best supported platform, which is still x86.

Couldn't agree more, Chen Peng, our Xserve guru, loves to run linux on
his powerbook, but I think it's more along the lines of  the guy that
developed linux for the iPod, in his FAQ he says Why? Doh, because it
can run linux! ;)

> Sounds like this product is ideally suited to small to medium sized
> lab environments with relatively modest compute requirements.

Agree... though I'd say It's just a separate ballgame, even if you do
have your huge clusters, an Inquiry-G5-out-fhe-box cluster will keep
your isntitute-type service requirements happy, without messing about
with your research-oriented large-scale computing needs, of course it's
more of a nice luxury than a need to have it separate ;)

> I'd like to hear more, because I don't believe it.  Can you power
> cycle a crashed node remotely?  What sort of remote console do you
> have?  Can you do everything you need to through a command line as
> well as a GUI?  I know GUIs are friendly, but when your cluster gets
> large you get tired of clicking buttons *really* quickly.  Your
> requirements are probably different from mine, though.

Ah uh, oh you mean that GUI management thing it ships with? I don't
think we ever touched it on our Xserve cluster ;)

Elia

---
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine
Via Pietro Castellino, 111
80131 Napoli

Tel. +39 081 6132 335
Fax. +39 081 6132 351