[Bioclusters] Re: [Biodevelopers] RDBMS and Bioinformatics

Titus Brown bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:53:55 -0800

-> Hi, I would like to know if RDBMS (Relational Data
-> Base Management Systems) is extensively used in
-> Bioinformatics Data Bases. If it indeed true, what is
-> the most suited RDBMS, Oracle?

I believe that NCBI uses SQLserver for some things, and MySQL has
been used by several of the public projects (ENSEMBL, for one).
I use PostgreSQL because of it's support for an object/relational
data model.

I don't know of a project using Oracle but there must be some out there.

I'm not sure what distinguishes one database as being better for
bioinformatics as a whole; it depends an awful lot on what you're
doing...

--titus