[Bioclusters] Re: [Biodevelopers] RDBMS and Bioinformatics

Dr. Hari Koduvely bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:05:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, many thanks for your overwelhming responses to
my simple question. I am trying to get into data
warehousing also (from just data analysis) and I was
thinking of what to learn for datawarehousing in
Bioinformatics. That is why I posed this question.....

Regds
-Hari

--- Dan Bolser <dmb@mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Titus Brown wrote:
>
> > -> Hi, I would like to know if RDBMS (Relational
> Data
> > -> Base Management Systems) is extensively used in
> > -> Bioinformatics Data Bases. If it indeed true,
> what is
> > -> the most suited RDBMS, Oracle?
> >
> > I believe that NCBI uses SQLserver for some
> things, and MySQL has
> > been used by several of the public projects
> (ENSEMBL, for one).
> > I use PostgreSQL because of it's support for an
> object/relational
> > data model.
> >
> > I don't know of a project using Oracle but there
> must be some out there.
>
> MSD
>

> > I'm not sure what distinguishes one database as
> being better for
> > bioinformatics as a whole; it depends an awful lot
> on what you're
> > doing...
> >
> > --titus

=====